Peer support programs
Experiencing the loss of a pregnancy or the death of a baby is devastating. But you aren’t alone. Pregnancy and Infant Loss (PAIL) Network is here to help, with free peer-led, group and individual support services offered to families across Ontario.
Our support programs are led by trained volunteers who have experienced pregnancy or infant loss first-hand. We are a barrier-free, inclusive organization. We can provide interpreters in several languages, at a family’s request.
We know that there is no time limit on grief. For this reason, families can access our services at any time for as long as they need.
To access support from PAIL Network, please fill out our request for support form.
* Scroll down to view our calendar of Peer Support Program dates *
Community Circles of support groups
PAIL Network offers group support in communities all across Ontario. We recognize how important it is for families to feel a connection to others who have experienced a similar loss, and to talk about their loss in a safe space.
These groups are facilitated by a PAIL Network group facilitator who has a lived experience of loss and has successfully completed the training required to host a circle of support. Information about the date, time and login details of each group is provided to families after they have completed their PAIL Network request for support form. Families can attend a circle of support for as long as they would like. These groups are typically attended by bereaved parents, and are open to any other adult family members who have been impacted by the loss.
- Central East Ontario – 2nd Wednesday and 4th Tuesday of every month at 7:00pm EST.
- South Western Ontario – 2nd Monday and 3rd Thursday of every month at 7:00pm EST.
- GTA East Ontario – 1st Tuesday and 3rd Wednesday of every month at 8:00pm EST.
- GTA West Ontario – 1st Thursday and 3rd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm EST.
- Midwestern Ontario – 1st Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm EST.
- Northern Ontario – 1st Thursday of every month at 7:30pm EST./6:30pm CST.
- Simcoe/Muskoka – 2nd Thursday of every month at 7:30pm EST.
- York Region – 2nd Thursday and 4th Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm EST.
- Central Toronto – 1st Tuesday and 3rd Wednesday of every month at 8:00pm EST.
- Eastern Ontario – 1st Thursday of every month at 7:00pm EST.
One-to-one peer phone support
Many families, particularly during the days and weeks immediately following their loss, will choose to begin receiving support with a one-to-one phone support session. This individual support connects families with a volunteer who is as closely matched to the family’s circumstances as possible, and often can be someone who lives in the same community.
Phone support volunteers have a lived experience of loss, and have completed the training required to meet the unique needs of families who are grieving the loss of their pregnancy or of their baby.
Families typically complete four, 45-minute phone sessions with a phone support volunteer. Following these four sessions, families can contact PAIL Network if they wish to continue receiving support.
Subsequent pregnancy support
We welcome all families in Ontario who are currently pregnant after a loss to join our subsequent pregnancy support group. We understand this can be a difficult and stressful time for families, and invite you to share with others. This online scheduled group is hosted the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month, and a link will be provided after registration. Please complete a request for support form for specific details.
Loss Specific Online support
PAIL Network offers peer-led online support to all families across Ontario who have experienced a pregnancy loss or an infant death. Our team of trained volunteers are now providing support during scheduled online meetings that you can access from the comfort of home. These online groups connect families who share a similar experience of loss, and these discussions are moderated by a peer support volunteer who also shares that experience. Please complete a request for support form for group dates and specific details.
- Support for 1st Trimester Loss – 2nd and 4th Monday of every month from 8:00pm – 9:00pm est.
- Support for 2nd Trimester Loss – 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month from 8:00pm – 9:00pm est.
- Support for 3rd Trimester Loss – 1st and 3rd Monday of every month from 8:00pm – 9:00pm est.
- Support for families who have experienced the termination of a pregnancy – 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month from 8:00pm – 9:00pm est.
- Support for Infant/Neonatal Death – 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month from 8:00pm – 9:00pm est.
- Support for families who have experienced SIDS/SIUD – 2nd Thursday of every month from 9:00pm – 10:00pm est.
Daytime Support Group
3rd Thursday of every month at 9:30am EST.
Our Daytime Support Group offers support for families who have experienced any type of pregnancy and infant loss and who are not able to attend a Regional Circle of Support in the evening hours. As with all of our online groups, participants will be asked to respect the privacy of others and join the group from a private personal space. Please note: there may be children in the home who may be heard in the background, and it is possible they may be seen on camera.
If you are hosting an event with PAIL Network, or hosting an event to raise awareness for pregnancy and infant loss in Ontario, please send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd be happy to list your event in our calendar.
If you're interested in learning more about organizing an event in your community, please get in touch.